The Victorian era mirror of rosewood and ebony was stripped of its paint layers and restored to its original finish including dozens of missing carved parts and veneers. All of the exterior windows in this room were originally painted Pine which E.M Rose stripped and Faux painted as Mahogany. Most of the ceiling was re-plastered to match the original ceiling after all the plumbing in the bathrooms above was replaced.
Each of the light fixtures shown here were discovered during renovation and completely restored by E.M. Rose. The newel fixture had been removed decades earlier and was discovered in a pit in the basement painted green. E.M. Rose restored its mounting and its operation as a combination gas/electric fixture of the late 19th century. The stairs were restored requiring more than 200 pieces be re-carved and installed to repair a century of damage.
Burl Fireplace and Mirror
This burl fireplace and mirror had been painted with white lead paint. None of the chimneys could be used as the flues were unlined brick that were severely decayed after more than a century of use. E.M. Rose restored all of the first floor fireplaces and the master bedroom fireplace to include new flues and dampers. The burl fireplace surround was restored to its original beauty.
This kitchen was created by joining two rooms originally separated by a fireplace and structural brick wall. By inserting steel beams into the ceiling to support two more stories of fireplaces and chimney above, we created this large kitchen and a faux fireplace at the end of the new kitchen using the antique surround from the fireplace we removed. The kitchen island columns were hand carved to blend with the aesthetic of the original fireplace surround.
These columns are faux painted in Scagliola and each of the column capitals were cast from an original capital provided by Mr. Telfer from a Calvert Vaux designed building in New York City.
Henry Davis Weed built the "Brick House," as Darien residents fondly referred to it circa, 1871.
Patent dates on original manufactured hardware and pages from the Savannah Advertiser newspaper from July, 1871 were found rolled up and used as filler to caulk a joint in moldings on the third floor, paying tribute to this home's historical context. It is believed that the famed English Architect, Calvert Vaux (1824-1895), designed the house. This Victorian Gothic style of the house and many of its details are traits of Calvert Vaux designs.
The Restoration of this house was a pleasure to be a part of as it takes true vision of an Architect and Owner to reconstruct a home for modern comforts while maintaining its historical context and beauty.